Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Friday 2nd February 2007

JJ Cale’s “I’ve got Friday on my mind” reminded me that we could still distinguish the days of the week from each other! Previous vintages have taught me that after a while, every day is a Monday, and we haven’t reached that level of exhaustion yet.

Graham Fisher, the last member of our 2007 harvest team, arrived directly from his early morning flight from the UK and was immediately thrown in at the deep end! Through our association with the Dart family who own Stanlake Park Vineyard and Winery in Berkshire, (close to Windsor Castle), we now also sell Jordan wines from their 15th century tasting room. (For more information visit http://www.stanlakepark.com/ ) They are producing some exciting wines which is why they are being watched like hawks by the Champenoise concerned about the effects of global warming! Graham, the Stanlake Park viticulturalist has joined us for the vintage to gain a bit more cellar experience.

With the team all assembled on the same spot for the first time, we were able to take a photo of us all on the press.

Let me introduce the cellar team to you:

Front:
left to right – Vanessa ‘Snoopy’ Robertson (Spice to some!), Ludwich ‘Vlekkie’ Jacobs, Clive ‘Smiley’ Engelbrecht (no relation to Jean Engelbrecht!), Leon ‘Wollie’ Janse van Rensburg, Tim ‘elastoplast’ Hoek, Dennovan ‘Abdul’ or ‘Jan van Riebeek’ Daniels.

Back:
Left to right – Sjaak ‘Tintin’ or ‘Sharkie’ Nelson, Kathy ‘Kattie’ Jordan, Gary ‘Kerrie Kerrie’ Jordan, Frans ‘Priest’ Ben, Graham ‘Pommy’ Fisher, James ‘Jumbo’ Briqua, Lucinda ‘Lufthansa’ Heyns.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I don't think that's a Cale song. I have known John since 1957 and have been playing piano in his band since I rejoined it in 1994 and I have never heard him do the song or even mention it. I did a Google search and found no connection. David Bowie did the song and it was also done by a band called the Easybeats.

Gary Jordan said...

Hey 'Rocky Frisco'
Thanks for the comment! I meant 'Friday' from the JJ Cale 5 album. "Monday morning comes too early. Work my back to the bone..."