Thursday, February 15, 2007

Friday 9th – Sunday 11th February


“Raindrops keep falling on my head” by BJ Thomas kept playing over and over in my mind since Thursday night’s rain. The lyrics, written by Burt Bacharach and Hal David are almost synonymous with the Film “Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid” and the weather has been more suited to curling up in front of the TV to watch a movie classic than harvesting grapes in the middle of February!

"So I just did me some talkin' to the sun
And I said I didn't like the way he got things done
Sleepin' on the job
Those raindrops are fallin' on my head, they keep fallin'
But there's one thing I know
The blues they send to meet me won't defeat me
It won't be long till happiness steps up to greet me"

Happiness for me was to check the rain gauge every few hours – we needed some rain to keep the dust down, and yet too much could delay or downgrade the vintage. Alex Dale and Paul Cluver came for dinner on Friday evening with our mutual USA importer, Peter Clinton of Vinnovative Imports ( http://www.capewines.com/) Judging by our stack of empty bottles the next morning, and the groans coming from Peter, I guessed that he had more than just raindrops falling on his head!

By Sunday, 36 mm had been recorded, a rainy long weekend for the cellar and for the first time in 15 vintages at Jordan, everyone had two easy weekends in a row!

No comments: