Sunday, March 4, 2007

Tuesday 20th February 2007

After finishing the last of the 2007 Chenin Blanc grapes, Davey’s team moved to one of our E-facing Merlot vineyards just as the day started warming up.

I was down at Overgaauw chatting to Braam and David van Velden when the Eskom power suddenly went off. Lucinda answered my call on the farm radio – “The power went off for a second, but is back on again” she said. I was still in darkness though, so asked her if our generator was running. “I suppose it must be!” was the reply – “I can hear the diesel engine in the background.” Yet again I thanked my lucky stars that we had put in a generator a few years ago that could run the whole winery if there should ever be a power problem - it certainly paid for itself last year when we had so many power cuts!

Other than Jordan, Paul Cluver, Alex Dale and David Niewoud’s wines, Peter Clinton, our USA agent also represents Eben Sadie, so later that evening we solved the world’s problems over a bottle of Columella at Belthazar on the Cape Town Waterfront. After dinner we went to harass Bruce Robertson at The Showroom!

No comments: